Nearly every day I'm humbled by my limitations and
weaknesses. Paul often wrote
about how he could rejoice in his pain, suffering, and weaknesses, because God
is all the more glorified when His work is accomplished, despite our many
failures. It’s these passages that give me a great deal of encouragement right
now. My small group looked at 1 Corinthians 1-2 recently, where Paul
writes of the wisdom of the world in comparison to the wisdom of God:
"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the
wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." (1:27)
In the kingdom of God everything is upside down. What the world
thinks is reasonable and intelligent is ridiculous to God; He delights in using
the things that the world puts no value in to display His power. I think that
this past year working in a shelter is opening my eyes to this truth in a whole
new way. My degree in International & Community Development set me on a
course to challenge the injustices I observe in the world and fight against
poverty. I tend to think I know what they need and how the problems could be
fixed, but when it comes to real-life people and situations, I'm pretty
limited. As my shortcomings become apparent, I realize how very foolish I am to
think I can change anyone. I'm currently working among women and children who
have experienced physical and emotional abuse and carry baggage that I can't
possibly understand. Most were born at the bottom end of a system that prevents
them from getting many of the basic things I took for granted growing up, like
a quality education, healthy eating and exercise habits, planning skills,
loving and supportive family, emotional wellness, an understanding of a God who
loves me intimately. We analyze and strategically plan how to fix the problems.
We ponder how to remedy dysfunctional habits or behaviors. It seems the more we
probe for solutions, the more problems we find, and the process never ends!
It's the same with me. The deeper I see into God's heart, the more
aware I am of my own personal shortcomings. My foolishness. The more situations
I encounter at work or in life, the more opportunities there are for me to mess
up. And I do. It hurts my ego for sure, but it drives me back to the Savior
every time. To seek His wisdom.
Last week at the park with our kids, a random four-year-old boy
decided he wanted to join the soccer game our kids were playing. He was at
least half the size of them all, but he fearlessly jumped right into the game
and tried to steal the ball from the 7 and 8-year-olds, whom I could tell
wanted to knock him over and send him crying back to his mom so he wouldn't be
an annoyance anymore. I didn't want any accidents to happen, so I gently told
him that the other kids were a little too big for him to play a real soccer
game with and that he should find something else to do. I think of that little
boy now and wish I had his courage and drive. I'm sure he could tell how small
he was in comparison to the others, but he didn't care. I'm sure the
possibility of getting hurt didn't even cross his mind. Not so with me. I find
I'm terribly afraid of making a mistake and looking like an idiot. I'm cautious
and slow to step out. Yet even being that way, I still mess up!
I wouldn’t have it any other way, though, because it gives me less
confidence in myself and more in the Spirit of God who works powerfully through
the weak things of this world. Our kids and their moms are people the world
would consider weak, but every single time I walk through the front gate and
hear a child shout out, “Hi, Miss Jessica!” from their window, I feel a warmth surge
through me. I could be feeling completely down in the dumps, but then I’ll run
into one of my kids and forget every reason I felt low. They push my buttons a
lot of times, but they are what get me back on track with my purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment